Monday, February 11, 2013

It wasn't a UTI

At Wednesday night supper at Mom's I started having pains in my pouch area. We always have the same thing (rotisserie chicken, broccoli and baked potato) and it always goes down easy. At first I thought I had eaten too fast. I started feeling awful so Pie and I went home without our normal game of Farkle. When we got home I crawled in the bed thinking if I laid down that I would feel better. It didn't help. It hurt to sit, it hurt to stand and it hurt worse to lay. I kept thinking... this is going to pass... this is going to pass... I am going to be ok... this is going to pass. I really didn't want to end up in the ER because I had something stuck. I don't normally post the bad stuff on the Facebook group but I was terrified so I asked for prayers. A huge cramp hit and then started to ease off. I thought I was through. Got up on Thursday and I was sore or so I thought. Ate softs all day Thursday until dinner and it happened all over again. The pain wasn't consistently in one location. I didn't understand what was going on. Decided to call the doctor in the morning and went to bed. I woke up Friday and the pain had settled in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. It hurt especially bad when I walked. The pain was also starting to circle around to my back. I talked to the nurse at Dr. Babineau's office and she recommended me heading to urgent care because she thought I might be having appendicitis. I cancelled all my meetings at work for the rest of the day. Tried to get as much work done as possible because I didn't know when I was going to be coming back. And then off to Tyler Urgent Care I went. Everyone at Tyler Urgent Care was super friendly and professional. They asked for a urine sample but I hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day so I wasn't able to give them one. I tried... The doctor came in and asked a bunch of questions and poked at my stomach. He immediately didn't think it was appendicitis because the pain was equal on both sides when we pressed in the area right below my belly button. YAY! That's means no surgery. Then he decides I need x-rays and blood test. Me and blood tests don't really get along very well. Luckily the nurse talked to me the whole time and I didn't faint. Anyways... on to x-ray. The gentleman in x-ray was amazing. He was so friendly and professional. He was also very respectful. Back to my room. Nothing shows up on the x-ray but my white blood cells are high so the diagnosis is UTI. They put me on antibiotics and told me to drink lots of water. Back to work I went. Mom & Pie made sure I drank lots of water all weekend. At dinner on Saturday night I was in a lot of pain before we ate. Sunday was ok but I didn't drink as much as I probably should have. Monday morning rolled around and I get a call from Tyler Urgent Care - they grew my cultures and there was no bacteria so I did NOT have a UTI. Stop taking the antibiotics and go see your regular doctor. At this point, I start to worry. The pain still isn't consistently in place so I don't know if there is something wrong with my pouch. I called Dr. A and he couldn't see me until next Monday so I called Dr. Babineau's office to see if they could see me before then. Explained the whole thing to the nurse and she thought it would be best to see the Dr. I have an appointment for Wednesday. Not really in a lot of pain but I am going to see the doctor either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment